Subject: Re: bug#60460: 30.0.50; [FR] avoid putting remote files to local trash

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 03:37:44 +0300

* Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> [2023-01-07 15:51]:
> > We could lock this proposed change behind a flag to retain backward
> > compatibility for those who still prefer to trash remote files by moving
> > them into local trash directory.  Regardless, the behavior before and
> > after the change for local files should remain the same.
> 
> We've used this approach in Emacs 27 (Tramp 2.4), but it wasn't robust
> enough. So this was removed from Tramp, knowing that users could define
> their own `system-move-file-to-trash'.

Eli said that is not for users to define, as those functions are
defined by developers on Mac OS or Windows, and are not the way for
users to customize their Emacs.

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/