Subject: 28.2; Removal of `query-replace-interactive' from Emacs 29?

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 17:37:15 +0000

I don't have any Emacs 29 build, but someone brought this to my
attention.

Here:

https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/etc/NEWS.29#L3471

I see this, at line 3488:

** Some functions and variables obsolete since Emacs 24 have been
removed:

And under that I see listed `query-replace-interactive'.

I don't see that as having been declared obsolete since Emacs 24.  It's
not even declared obsolete in Emacs 28 AFAICT, and that's the latest
release.  Are we now removing stuff that hasn't even been previously
(let alone long ago) deprecated?  Or is this a typo?  What's the status
of this variable (and perhaps the other functions and vars in the list)?

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-09-13 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.2364)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)