Subject: bug#60434: librsvg from Guix makes native GIMP unable to find icons

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 21:54:37 +0100

Hi,

Tirifto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello! I use Guix as a supplementary package manager on OpenSUSE 15.4. I have 
> recently installed the package ‘librsvg’ in Guix, in order to fix a different 
> issue, where a different program (installed with Guix) wouldn’t show icons 
> without it [1]. But I noticed that doing so affects GIMP, a graphical program 
> installed natively in openSUSE, which can no longer show its own icons now.

I assume the problem comes from the fact that the host's gdk-pixbuf uses
the GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE variable that is set by Guix, and so tries to
refer to Guix's loaders rather than the host's, which don't use the same
glibc version.  I don't see an easy fix for this: we could rename it to
GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE, but that's likely a world rebuild.  In the
meantime, you could consider only using Guix "explicitely", by only
entering the profile manually in a shell when you want to use the apps
it installed.

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret