Subject: bug#6043: 23.1.96; doc of called-interactively and interactive-p

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:02:59 -0700

1. The doc for `called-interactively-p' and interactive-p is still a
mess.
 
The doc string for `called-interactively-p' says it has one mandatory
arg. The Elisp manual says it has none. Which is it? The doc string
says that with arg `any' it returns t when in `noninteractive' mode.
The manual says the exact opposite: it returns t if `noninteractive'
is nil.
 
And the `interactive-p' doc string says that it is is obsolete, whereas
the manual documents it normally. Which is it?
 
2. Why isn't the arg for `called-interactively-p' optional, as I
proposed in the bug #3936 thread? Or maybe it is, and the doc string
is wrong in that way too?
 
(called-interactively-p) raises no error with no arg. Calling it
with no arg seems to have the same effect as calling it with arg
`any'. And calling it with any arg other than `interactive' seems
to have the same effect as calling it with arg `any'. And calling
it with arg `interactive' seems to have the same effect as
function `interactive-p'.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-04-20 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'