Subject: Re: bug#60423: 29.0.60; goto-address and shr/textsec don't play nicely together

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 19:13:49 -0400

>> So I lean towards having goto-address leave text alone (don't set an
>> overlay) if it finds text properties set for the text.
>
> Not just any properties: only 'face' properties, right?
>
> I think this is okay, if we don't have better tricks up our sleeves.
> I added Stefan Monnier in the hope that he could have some
> suggestions.

In this case the problem is that two packages compete for the same URL.
I think it makes sense for goto-address to "leave text alone" in this
case, but the question remains of how to detect *this* situation.

The underlying text having a `face` property doesn't seem sufficient
(especially since multiple `face` properties get merged, so the
conflict is less severe).
Maybe it should check for the presence of `help-echo and (follow-link
or keymap)`?  And make sure the those properties cover exactly the same
chunk of text?

        Stefan