Subject: bug#60418: [PATCH] Add :vc keyword to use-package

From: Tony Zorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:12:22 +0200

On Sat, Apr 08 2023 11:25, Felician Nemeth wrote:
>> [...] All I want to understand is the motivation behind this feature
>> in the first place.
>
> One use-case is to let package developers to distribute thier packages
> without a package archive.  Or more precisely, to let users conveniently
> install packages that are not in a package archive.

FWIW, this was also my motivation for making this change. It's just
incredibly convenient to be able to do this without installing
third-party dependencies.

Further, it also makes testing out new changes very easy. For example, I
wanted to try out the overhauled LaTeX preview system that was proposed
for Org mode [1]. Rather than having to clone the respective repo and
check out the branch manually, this was just a

    (use-package org
      :vc (:url "https://git.tecosaur.net/tec/org-mode.git" :branch "dev"))

away, which is certainly a win in my book. 

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2023-03/msg00196.html

-- 
Tony Zorman | https://tony-zorman.com/