Subject: Re: bug#60418: [PATCH] Add :vc keyword to use-package

From: Tony Zorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 16:36:37 +0200

On Mon, May 01 2023 20:01, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> Tony Zorman <[email-masked]> writes:
>> +(defun use-package-normalize--vc-arg (arg)
>> +  "Normalize possible arguments to the `:vc' keyword.
>> +ARG is a cons-cell of approximately the form that
>> +`package-vc-selected-packages' accepts, plus an additional `:rev'
>> +keyword.  If `:rev' is not given, it defaults to `:last-release'.
>> +
>> +Returns a list (NAME SPEC REV), where (NAME . SPEC) is compliant
>> +with `package-vc-selected-packages' and REV is a (possibly nil,
>> +indicating the latest commit) revision."
>> +  (cl-flet* ((mk-string (s)
>> +	       (if (and s (stringp s)) s (symbol-name s)))
>> +             (mk-sym (s)
>> +               (if (and s (stringp s)) (intern s) s))
>> +	     (normalize (k v)
>
> It seems there is inconsistent spacing here.

Whoops, some tabs must have snuck into the code. 

>> +** use-package
>> +
>> ++++
>> +*** New ':vc' keyword.
>> +This keyword enables the user to control how packages are fetched by
>> +utilising 'package-vc.el'.  By default, it relays its arguments to
>
> I would not add the .el at the end.

Is there a standard way to refer to packages? I feel like `package-vc'
would be too easy to mistake for a function/variable, but maybe that is
just paranoia.

>> +'package-vc-install', but -- when combined with the ':load-path'
>> +keyword -- it can also call upon 'package-vc-install-from-checkout'
>> +instead.  If no revision is given via the ':rev' argument, use-package
>> +falls back to the last release (via 'package-vc-install's
>> +':last-release' argument).  To check out the last commit, use ':rev
>> +:newest'.
>
> I feel like this is too much information for the NEWS file, the first
> sentence should be enough.

I think it's not totally unprecedented in terms of word count, but sure,
if you think it's too long I wouldn't be opposed to shortening it. 

> If you want to, I can make all these changes in your patch if you ack
> them.  I'll try and test the code in the coming days to see if it all
> works, and with John's and Eli's blessing will apply them to master.

Given my schedule for the next few weeks, this would be absolutely
fantastic—thank you!

-- 
Tony Zorman | https://tony-zorman.com/