Subject: bug#60338: [PATCH] Add option to present server changes as diffs

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:38:19 +0000

João, do you have anything to add to this discussion?

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> FWIW I'd definitely want to use this feature when it lands.
>>
>>>> It doesn't necessarily have to be the full-fledged diffs, it could be
>>>> something approximate.  After all, this is for human consumption.
>>>
>>> Not really, the point is that you can apply these diffs directly.  Also,
>>> I would not say that diffs are not for human consumption.
>>
>> I agree, it'd be nice to get a proper diff buffer with all the benefits
>> of `diff-mode`.
>
> Right.
>
>> I also see how it would be useful for Emacs to be able to generate such
>> a diff buffer directly from the change description that the LSP server
>> provides, without applying the change and running the diff program, but
>> it doesn't seem quite trivial so I hope that can be implemented as an
>> enhancement down the line.  (I'd be happy to help with that, BTW.)
>
> Yes, and we were to do this, I'd rather add it to a pure-elisp `diff' to
> diff.el so that it can be transparently reused anywhere where the "diff"
> program is missing.

-- 
Philip Kaludercic