Subject: bug#60338: [PATCH] Add option to present server changes as diffs

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:27:12 +0000

Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:

> FWIW I'd definitely want to use this feature when it lands.
>
>>> It doesn't necessarily have to be the full-fledged diffs, it could be
>>> something approximate.  After all, this is for human consumption.
>>
>> Not really, the point is that you can apply these diffs directly.  Also,
>> I would not say that diffs are not for human consumption.
>
> I agree, it'd be nice to get a proper diff buffer with all the benefits
> of `diff-mode`.

Right.

> I also see how it would be useful for Emacs to be able to generate such
> a diff buffer directly from the change description that the LSP server
> provides, without applying the change and running the diff program, but
> it doesn't seem quite trivial so I hope that can be implemented as an
> enhancement down the line.  (I'd be happy to help with that, BTW.)

Yes, and we were to do this, I'd rather add it to a pure-elisp `diff' to
diff.el so that it can be transparently reused anywhere where the "diff"
program is missing.