Subject: bug#60308: 30.0.50; Can't read some PDF files any more

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 20:35:54 +0200

> Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 18:25:58 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, 
>     [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> 
> >
> > Here a first patch that prevent producing SVG when mutool has a version > 1.20.  Feel free to comment and fix.
> >
> 
> I just tried, and most PDF files are processed without problems with 
> mutool 1.21.

That's not what Stephen says, he tried 1.21.1.

> So I'm not sure we should install such a workaround in Emacs, for a
> bug that happens in some cases for some specific versions (1.20 and
> 1.21) of a specific external program.
> 
> Those who have these versions of that program can (temporarily) add
> 
> (setq doc-view-mupdf-use-svg nil)
> 
> to their init file, or toggle that value to open problematic files.

We can, of course, have an entry in etc/PROBLEMS, if that's the best
we can do.  But I wonder why you see something different from what
others see.