Subject: bug#60308: 30.0.50; Can't read some PDF files any more

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:32:24 +0100

On Fri, 06 Jan 2023 10:10:03 +0000 Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>
>> I see the problem in Emacs 29 and master, but not in Emacs 28, on the same
>> system, i.e. with the same image libraries.  When the bad display appears,
>> the following entry appears in *Messages*:
>>
>> Error parsing SVG image: XML parse error: Error domain 1 code 68 on line
>> 7393 column 18 of data: StartTag: invalid element name
>>
>> This seems to comes from svg_load_image in image.c.  I started Emacs 29 with
>> -Q in gdb after setting a breakpoint at svg_load_image, opened the PDF file,
>> hit the breakpoint and stepped through till the bad display appeared.  The
>> ouput of bt full is attached.  (I also ran Emacs 28 under gdb with the same
>> breakpoint, and there visiting the PDF file does not hit the breakpoint.)
>>
>
> Thanks.  Can you please also share the "/tmp/docview1000/FR
> 205.pdf-7039e6f9886aceec549c36d51591d258/page-1.svg" file?

Attached (gzipped).  In the mean time I found the problem: that file
contains occurrences of "<" and that causes the error; after replacing
them with "&lt;" the PDF is displayed correctly.

On Fri, 06 Jan 2023 10:22:02 +0000 Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> And also the output of "mutool -v" (IOW, the version of mupdf that is
> installed on your computer)?

mutool version 1.21.0

Steve Berman