Subject: Re: bug#60285: xref-query-replace-in-results could show an arrow pointing to the current item being replaced

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 03:41:56 +0200

On 05/01/2023 19:55, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> For example,
>>> as you can undo or go to the previous match during the query replace,
>>> the arrow should point to the previous result, if possible.
>> Hmm, I'm not sure how to implement that. Some new hook inside
>> perform-replace?
>>
>> Maybe Juri has some ideas.
> Indeed, there is a special hook for such cases:
> 'replace-update-post-hook'.

That one seems problematic. First of all, I think (?) that we need to 
update the arrow's position when the replacement prompt appears, not 
after a replacement.

Second, it fires in all cases -- whether the replacement is going 
forward, or it being undone, is that right? I suppose this will mean 
we'll need to maintain a reverse mapping: from the markers back to the 
Xref buffer lines. Hopefully they will be in expected position after the 
"undo" actions too.