Subject: Re: bug#6026: 23.1.96; Cursor drawing problems with the Khmer script

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:29:10 +0200

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 18:14, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm surprised you get a long list for such a minority language - my
> system only has "Khmer OS System", which I installed specifically for
> Khmer support.

FWIW, on Windows 7 Home I get four matches, and I haven't installed
any Khmer support (at least, not directly; perhaps some product?).

#<font-entity uniscribe outline DaunPenh nil iso10646-1 normal normal
normal 0 nil 0 nil ((:format . opentype) (:script khmer latin))>
#<font-entity uniscribe outline Khmer\ UI sans iso10646-1 bold normal
normal 0 nil 0 nil ((:format . opentype) (:script symbol khmer
latin))>
#<font-entity uniscribe outline Khmer\ UI sans iso10646-1 normal
normal normal 0 nil 0 nil ((:format . opentype) (:script symbol khmer
latin))>
#<font-entity uniscribe outline MoolBoran sans iso10646-1 normal
normal normal 0 nil 0 nil ((:format . opentype) (:script symbol khmer
latin))>

> It may be due to the version of usp10.dll - I
> remember when I originally worked on the uniscribe code, I had to
> upgrade usp10.dll manually to get support for some languages - Tibetan
> and Sinhalese I specifically remember, but there may have been others.
> But according to info I've found, the last update to usp10.dll was
> shipped as part of XP SP2

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniscribe since the Sinhala
Enabling Patch there's been about a dozen new versions, the last one
in Windows 7 and the beta for Microsoft Office 10.

> So the following might be a better font spec, at least for Windows:
>
> (font-spec :registry "iso10646-1" :otf '(khmr nil
>                                        (pref blwf abvf pstf pres blws
>                                         abvs psts clig)))
>

That gets me the same list.

As for the bug, I don't see it either. Moving the cursor on the Khmer
list, the cursor appears as wide as the character it is upon (i.e., is
very small but perfectly visible over U+179A KHMER LETTER RO), and
neither forward nor backward movement shows anything unexpected.

    Juanma