Subject: bug#60255: Memory Leak

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:53:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:48:02 -0800
>> From:  Ryan Wilson via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>>
>> I am just using emacs normally, mostly for typescript development, so
>> that might be the offending mode. Emacs is currently using 1.7GB of
>> memory, the other day I killed it after I saw it was using 19.9GB. I ran
>> memory report and nothing was reported as using significant memory.
>>
>> Memory report output
>
> It could be that a large part of memory that is mapped into the Emacs
> process is actually free, and glibc keeps it because it cannot release
> it to the system for some reason.
>
> When you get a significantly larger memory footprint again, please
> invoke the function 'malloc-info', and post here everything it writes
> to stderr stream.  The data this produces will show how much memory is
> actually in use.

Ryan, it seems like we need more information here to make any progress.

Are you still seeing this?  If yes, did you have a chance to look into
this any further?