Subject: bug#60252: closed (Re: bug#60252: 29.0.60; help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt asks for confirmation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 08:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60252: 29.0.60; help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt asks for confirmation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60252: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60252
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60252: 29.0.60; help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt asks for confirmation
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 09:38:21 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 >> I would have preferred to see changes like this announced in NEWS
 >
 > Now done.

Thanks.  Closing this bug.

martin

Subject: 29.0.60; help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt asks for confirmation
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:21:56 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This change

--- a/lisp/help-fns.el
+++ b/lisp/help-fns.el
@@ -229,7 +229,7 @@ help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt
                 (lambda (f) (if want-command
                            (commandp f)
                          (or (fboundp f) (get f 'function-documentation))))
-               t nil nil
+               'confirm nil nil
                 (and fn (symbol-name fn)))))
      (unless (equal val "")
        (setq fn (intern val)))

in

commit c12838c73ef161850a081f9ccea6e375b7c2f93b
Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Sep 2 09:54:13 2022 -0400

breaks my working flow as follows: With Emacs 28 when I type

C-h f RET set-face-a RET

I get a help window on ‘set-face-attribute’.  Now I'm asked to
[Confirm].  Kindly add some way to get the old behavior back.

Thanks, martin

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5,
  cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-16 built on restno
Repository revision: f4b430140f0866f98bbf18b7094348dc64032813
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
  --with-gnutls=no --without-pop --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
  --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type=yes
  'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -no-pie -Wno-missing-braces''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_AT.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36067 5652)
  (symbols 48 5123 0)
  (strings 32 13056 1700)
  (string-bytes 1 369122)
  (vectors 16 9292)
  (vector-slots 8 147643 11236)
  (floats 8 22 35)
  (intervals 56 217 0)
  (buffers 976 10))