Subject: 29.0.60; help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt asks for confirmation

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:21:56 +0100

This change

--- a/lisp/help-fns.el
+++ b/lisp/help-fns.el
@@ -229,7 +229,7 @@ help-fns--describe-function-or-command-prompt
                 (lambda (f) (if want-command
                            (commandp f)
                          (or (fboundp f) (get f 'function-documentation))))
-               t nil nil
+               'confirm nil nil
                 (and fn (symbol-name fn)))))
      (unless (equal val "")
        (setq fn (intern val)))

in

commit c12838c73ef161850a081f9ccea6e375b7c2f93b
Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Sep 2 09:54:13 2022 -0400

breaks my working flow as follows: With Emacs 28 when I type

C-h f RET set-face-a RET

I get a help window on ‘set-face-attribute’.  Now I'm asked to
[Confirm].  Kindly add some way to get the old behavior back.

Thanks, martin

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5,
  cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-16 built on restno
Repository revision: f4b430140f0866f98bbf18b7094348dc64032813
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
  --with-gnutls=no --without-pop --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
  --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type=yes
  'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -no-pie -Wno-missing-braces''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_AT.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36067 5652)
  (symbols 48 5123 0)
  (strings 32 13056 1700)
  (string-bytes 1 369122)
  (vectors 16 9292)
  (vector-slots 8 147643 11236)
  (floats 8 22 35)
  (intervals 56 217 0)
  (buffers 976 10))