Subject: bug#60244: 27.1; term-line-mode works poorly with git progress rewriting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 19:27:05 +0100

"Michael Hoffman" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks so much for looking into this.
>
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 10:01 AM miha wrote:
>
>     Two possible ideas to solve this:
>
>     - Introduce a new marker to separate user input from process output.
>
>     - Use text properties to distinguish user input from process output.
>       This is what comint.el does, it marks process output with 'field' =
>       'output'.
>
> Is one of these options preferred? The second idea sounds more robust, and also it is nice that the example of comint.el
> exists for it. But perhaps I am naive about what they require.

I prefer the second option. While it is probably more work to implement
than the first one, it opens up possibilities of more robust input
navigation and multi-line input editing in term-line-mode, just like in
comint.el with 'comint-use-prompt-regexp' = nil.