Subject: Re: [bug#60240] Python 3.10 in core-updates

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 21:27:48 +0000

Hello,

I was curious about python 3.11 and dug up this issue so I thought I
would check in (CC'ing python-team and original people on the thread).

A link for a refresher: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60240>

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 12:35 AM, Andreas Enge wrote:

> Hello Tanguy,
>
> core-updates has Python 3.10.7, so you may wish to base your work on this
> branch and submit it once the branch has been merged.
>

Yes, we have and default to python-3.10 in master but it would be great
to have python-3.11. We could add this as "python-next" and start seeing
what packages can build with 3.11 before deciding if/when to switch
over.

Tanguy: have you tried your patch recently at all? Can we base it off of
3.10 and have a working 3.11 from what you started?

Thanks!
John

> There python@3 still inherits from python2@2. But since it overwrites all
> interesting fields, I think it would make sense to write a package definition
> "from scratch" by copying fields such as home-page etc.
>
> Good luck with packaging!
>
> Andreas