Subject: Re: [bug#60240] [PATCH] [WIP] gnu: Add python-3.11.

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 16:59:55 +0100

Hi Simon,

Believe it or not, I sent the patch before I went on vacation and… I kind
of forgot about it! 😅

Quoting Simon Tournier (2023-01-06 18:36:36)
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 16:32, Tanguy Le Carrour <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > This leads me to my first question: wouldn't it be better to write a "fresh"
> > package definition not inheriting from `python-2` (deprecated since 2020) and
> > `python-3.9` (soon to be replaced)?
> 
> Yes, it would be nice to have Python 3 as the package definition.  And
> maybe Python 2 as inheriting from Python 3. :-)

I'm not saying that we should do the same but… Debian is dropping
support for Python 2 in the next release [1].

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Python/FAQ#Python_2_support

> > Another question would be: should I first write a package definition
> > for `python-3.10` so we have it in the history and one could use the
> > time machine to install it?
> 
> Well, it appears to me fine to jump from 3.9 to 3.11 dropping 3.10.

You know what they say, who can do more can do less! 😁

Regards,

-- 
Tanguy