Subject: Re: bug#60233: 30.0.50; Dired buffer not updating sometimes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:38:00 +0200

> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:20:08 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> Here is what happens sometimes:
> https://gnu.support/images/tmp/2022-12-21/2022-12-21-08:09:15.ogv

I cannot watch this.  Would you please back up any images with textual
descriptions of what do you do and what happens?

> - Using d to delete in Dired, also sometimes does not update the Dired
>   buffer

We'd need a reproducible recipe to investigate.

> - Using b byte compile does what is shown on video

Which is what?

> - killing the non-updating Dired buffer and opening new one in the
>   same directory solves the problem
> 
> - I cannot reproduce with emacs -Q 
> 
> - what I know this is happening for long time, more than a year

Some problems with updates to Dired buffers when files or directories
are deleted were fixed about 3 months ago.  So if these problems
happen for much longer, either they are different problems, or you
have stale dired*.el files lurking somewhere that Emacs picks up.

> - I guess that problem lies somewhere in refresh function being missed
>   to be executed for some reason
> 
> - as additional possible info, my computer "sleeps" sometimes

Thanks, but if this is all the information you can provide, I don't
see how we could investigate something that happens only sometimes and
only in your configuration.  I can only hope someone else will report
the missing details.