Subject: Re: bug#60213: [PATCH] Copy Info-goto-node-web URL as kill with prefix argument

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:30:44 +0200

>> What about using the prefix arg to open the URL in a separate browser
>> window?  After all, that's the behavior of `Info-goto-node-web' (the
>> original).
>
> That can be customized in `browse-url', so I'd personally use the prefix
> argument for something more useful.  But I won't protest if someone
> wants to do that.

It would make sense to use eww by default to browse an external Info
in the same Emacs window.  And with a prefix argument open that Info
in an external browser.

> Anyways, we could consider moving the functionality I want to a positive
> prefix argument of `Info-copy-current-node-name'.  Or a negative prefix
> argument of `Info-goto-node-web'.  I don't really care which it is, as
> long as its somewhere.

Using a different prefix argument for `w' (`Info-copy-current-node-name')
makes sense as well like in `dired-copy-filename-as-kill' where the prefix
argument supports different values.  Another variant is to add new key 'W'
for URL copying.  OTOH, 'W' has a nice mnemonic to open a web browser.