Subject: bug#60213: [PATCH] Copy Info-goto-node-web URL as kill with prefix argument

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 19:57:23 -0600

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The attached patch make `Info-goto-node-web' copy the URL as kill
>> with a prefix argument, instead of opening it with `browse-url'.
>> I've seen this feature requested a couple of times now by various
>> people.
>
> Couple of times, various people?  Any besides the one time and one
> person (Marcin)?

One of them is yours truly, the other is Marcin.  I also saw it
requested on Reddit somewhere, I think.

> Based on what, a month of experience with the new command?  What's the
> inconvenience that the enhancement request would overcome - just
> killing/copying the URL in the minibuffer?

I myself never need to open the URL.  I only ever need to copy it (to
give to others, or use elsewhere).  So firing up a web browser mostly
just gets in the way for me.

> What about using the prefix arg to open the URL in a separate browser
> window?  After all, that's the behavior of `Info-goto-node-web' (the
> original).

That can be customized in `browse-url', so I'd personally use the prefix
argument for something more useful.  But I won't protest if someone
wants to do that.

Anyways, we could consider moving the functionality I want to a positive
prefix argument of `Info-copy-current-node-name'.  Or a negative prefix
argument of `Info-goto-node-web'.  I don't really care which it is, as
long as its somewhere.