Subject: bug#6021: closed (Re: bug#6021: 23.1.96; [NEWS] `su' and `sudo' for eshell??)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#6021: 23.1.96; [NEWS] `su' and `sudo' for eshell??

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6021: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6021
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6021: 23.1.96; [NEWS] `su' and `sudo' for eshell??
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Jens Petersen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:36:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jens Petersen <[email-masked]> writes:

> It seems unclear where they can be used, though I found them available
> in eshell, is that the correct context?

Yep, it's for eshell. I've fixed the entry in NEWS.

> Thanks, Jens

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 23.1.96; [NEWS] `su' and `sudo' for eshell??
From: Jens Petersen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:00:21 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The current 23.2 NEWS file has an entry about su and sudo "internal
commands":

"""
*** The new built-in commands `su' and `sudo' support Tramp.
That means, they change `default-directory' to the new users value,
and let commands run under that user permissions.  It works even when
`default-directory' is already remote.  Calling the external commands
is possible by `*su' or `*sudo', respectively.
"""

It seems unclear where they can be used, though I found them available
in eshell, is that the correct context?

Thanks, Jens

In GNU Emacs 23.1.96.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
 of 2010-04-21 on x86-01.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10800000