Subject: Re: bug#60207: Bug report

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 22:40:52 +0100

Hello Julius.

Julius Schwartzenberg <[email-masked]> writes:
> I didn't imagine
> I would need to do a 'guix pull' after running it. It seems I ran it
> at a bad moment, just as 1.4.0 was about to be released.

Indeed, but upgrading without compiling will be easier with bordeaux.
(Probably it would also have been possible to download guix 1.4.0
manually and then insert that into the store with `guix download` or
so.)

> […]
> Is there a way to enforce only binaries are fetched and compilation is
> never attempted? Even if that means I might not always run the latest
> version?

Yes there is a way.  Look at the output from `guix weather` (see
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-weather.html>
in the English manual); if substitute coverage is bad, you could wait a
few days or maybe look at `guix build --log-file` if compilation fails
at the build farm (see
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Additional-Build-Options.html>).

If you want `guix pull` without compiling, then look at
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Channels-with-Substitutes.html>.

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Florian