Subject: Re: bug#60207: Bug report

From: Julius Schwartzenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:00:49 +0100

Op 21-12-2022 om 16:26 schreef pelzflorian (Florian Pelz):
> Oops, my mistake.  You wrote your guix is at version 1.3.0, which is
> older than the bordeaux build farm.

No problem! I used the installation script just a few days earlier and I 
presumed it would give me the latest of everything. I didn't imagine I 
would need to do a 'guix pull' after running it. It seems I ran it at a 
bad moment, just as 1.4.0 was about to be released.

> So how would you get an updated Guix?  One way would be to delete /gnu
> and /var/guix and then just download and install the 1.4.0 version, but
> deleting would invalidate all links to the store.

I did this as I am working with essentially a fresh installation.

Unfortunately it is still not working out. While more packages seem to 
be downloaded, some very large ones are still being compiled and this 
simply ends up hanging my system.

Is there a way to enforce only binaries are fetched and compilation is 
never attempted? Even if that means I might not always run the latest 
version?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Julius