Subject: Re: bug#60197: 30.0.50; beginning-of-defun broken after new treesit impl

From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 22:50:04 -0800

Yuan Fu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi, Yuan!
>>
>> It seems 'prog-fill-reindent-defun' is broken after the latest changes
>> to treesit-beginning-of-defun.  The culprit is that we now use remap
>> instead of setting the beginning-of-defun-function.  What is the
>> reasoning behind that change?  Can't we just rely on the variable
>> beginning-of-defun-function?
>
> Not really, end-of-defun uses beginning/end-of-defun-function in a way
> that’s incompatible with nested defuns[1]. So if we want to support
> navigation nested defuns reliably we need to remap the commands instead.
> In the future (ie emacs 30), we can extend the current
> beginning/end-of-defun to support nested defuns, then we don’t need to
> remap the commands anymore.

I see the problem now... Many other functions uses
beginning/end-of-defun. I didn’t thought about that initially :-(

But I don’t want to make big changes to beg/end-of-deun, hmmm.

Yuan