Subject: 27.1; dired failed to delete file with multi-line name

From: David Lambert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 23:42:56 -0500

I had a file named
' 0 -1 -2 -3'$'\n'' -4 -5 -6 -7'$'\n'' -8 -9 -10 -11'$'\n\n''-12 -13 -14 
-15'$'\n''-16 -17 -18 -19'$'\n''-20 -21 -22 -23'$'\n'

attempting to delete it with the usual d x yes instructions, emacs did
not remove the file.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll 
bars)
of 2022-01-24, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-048
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Recent messages:
Quit
Deleting...done
Mark set [4 times]
~/Jobs/ZW/ZenuWorld-code/accounts/zw /tmp
Mark set [3 times]
Directory has changed on disk; type g to update Dired
Mark activated
Making completion list... [3 times]
Quit
Making completion list...

Configured using:
'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp 

--with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
--infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
--with-pop=yes
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp 

--with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
--with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gsettings
'CFLAGS=-g -O2
-ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-NbbgEv/emacs-27.1+1=. 
-fstack-protector-strong
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
which-function-mode: t
display-time-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug sendmail log-edit pcvs-util vc vc-dispatcher etags
fileloop generator xref project cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs doc-view image-mode
exif add-log sh-script smie executable vc-cvs dired-aux compile
pcmpl-unix j-mode edmacro kmacro j-help j-console j-font-lock jka-compr
info cl-extra help-fns radix-tree help-mode tabify man mail-extr message
rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader ispell thingatpt
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode arc-mode archive-mode dired dired-loaddefs
misearch multi-isearch rect time-date cus-edit cus-start cus-load
wid-edit warnings dirtrack shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
which-func imenu cl time view mule-util cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs server finder-inf package
easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 438843 78265)
(symbols 48 17277 1)
(strings 32 58339 5862)
(string-bytes 1 1934630)
(vectors 16 34263)
(vector-slots 8 1196659 194394)
(floats 8 607 488)
(intervals 56 33021 447)
(buffers 1000 42))