Subject: bug#6018: 23.1.96; doc of version(-list)*

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:04:59 -0700

The new version<, version-list* etc. functions are not sufficiently
documented.
 
There is no explanation (spec) of the elements in the *-list functions.
Examples are given, but no real explanation.  If the elements must be
integers, say so.  And say what a negative integer means.
 
There is a little more info in the doc strings of `version-regexp-alist'
and `version-to-list', but again, there are only examples, no
explanation.  Please describe the _mapping_ between parts of version
strings (e.g. the sub regexps "pre", "beta", "alpha" etc.) and negative
integers as list elements.
 
It is sufficient to describe this thoroughly in one doc string, if you
then link to that doc string from the other doc strings.  So far,
however, the info necessary to understand this feature is lacking,
especially regarding the use and meaning of negative integers.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-04-20 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'