Subject: bug#60146: file-exists-in-trash-p needs better name or semantics

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 22:09:43 +0200

> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:57:39 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> 
> I have a bit of a different take. First, there's adequate functionality 
> in Emacs now if we don't mind inefficiency, and it's already used; just 
> call file-attributes. (Gnus does this, in nnmaildir-unlink at least, and 
> I expect there are other uses.) Second, I wouldn't be surprised if other 
> uses of file-exists-p have problems similar to the one you found in 
> move-file-to-trash. Not that any of us have time to go scout for them 
> right now.
> 
> It's a minor point. Still, the name file-exists-in-trash-p really needs 
> to go somehow as it's not a name that should be user-visible. How about 
> the attached patch?

If you can verify that it works in the scenario of bug#59986, I'm okay
with this change.