Subject: [bug#60129] [PATCH 0/2] VM-optimized Linux-Libre variant

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:32:09 +0100

Hello!

(Cc: kernel “team”.  I’m guessing that the whole team may well
unanimously welcome you on board.  :-))

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The kernel is tailored towards server workloads running on a VPS, but
> should work fine as a default for "guix system vm", etc.

For a second I wondered whether we should change
‘virtualized-operating-system’ to put it in the ‘kernel’ field
unconditionally.  But it’s probably not a good idea because we have
system tests targeting specific kernels, and because users may want to
test “actual” kernels in QEMU.

>   | benchmark               | linux-libre   | linux-libre-virtual |
>   |-------------------------|---------------|---------------------|
>   | guix size               | 101.4 MiB     | 36.2 MiB            |

Wo0t!

>   activation: Firmware activation handles missing support in kernel.
>   gnu: Add linux-libre-virtual.

You may want a better-informed opinion on the linux-libre bits, but
otherwise LGTM!

Ludo’.