Subject: bug#60107: closed (Re: bug#60107: 30.0.50; Open new files very slow if eglot and which-function-mode are enabled.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60107: 30.0.50; Open new files very slow if eglot and which-function-mode are enabled.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60107: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60107
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60107: 30.0.50; Open new files very slow if eglot and which-function-mode are enabled.
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Felix <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:45:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Felix <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:26:21 +0100
> 
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Does it help to customize which-func-non-auto-modes to add the major
> > mode you are using there?  Or maybe customize which-func-maxout to a
> > small value to get the same effect in any mode?  I'm asking whether
> > this helps because it's unclear to me whether doing so will avoid
> > blocking redisplay, if and when which-func finally becomes active.
> >
> >> If this is not a bug of emacs,
> >> feel free to close this bug report.
> >
> > If the above doesn't help, I guess some changes to which-func could be
> > in order, to avoid blocking the first display of a buffer for such a
> > long time.  So in that case we shouldn't close this bug report yet.
> >
> > Thanks.
> 
> In fact both of it helps!
> Adding c-ts-mode to which-func-non-auto-modes solves the problem,
> setting which-func-maxout to 1000 works as well (that's the only value i
> tested).

Thanks, so I added these hints to the doc strings of the two optioins,
and I'm closing the bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; Open new files very slow if eglot and which-function-mode are enabled.
From: Felix <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 23:53:30 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.35) of 2022-12-15 built on felix-lifebooka531
Repository revision: 0d60579b6b6f2648a881572783322b1bcf931a73
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201006
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --enable-autodepend --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d --without-cairo --with-sound=no
 --with-xwidgets --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -mtune=generic -O3 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11
XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Opening C files is very slow if which-function-mode and eglot are
enabled at the same time. I tested this with:

emacs -Q
opening a C project file
M-x eglot
M-x which-function-mode
switching to another .c project file now takes seconds until the buffer
shows up.
I use an old Laptop, but with just one of the two modes disabled,
it's quite snappy.