Subject: bug#60083: 29.0.60; eshell-elecslash when in the root directory of a remote host

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:04:47 -0800

On 12/18/2022 2:34 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 00:46:50 +0100
>> From:  montag451 via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>   the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>>
>> While testing the new eshell module 'eshell-elecslash' I found a bug
>> when the default-directory is the root of a remote host. To reproduce
>> the problem type the following in a eshell buffer (replacing "method"
>> and "host" by appropriate values):
>>
>> $ cd /method:host:/
>> $ cd / <--- here the "/" should be replaced by "/method:host:/" but
>> instead nothing happen
>>
>> I've attached a patch to this email which fixes this issue.
> 
> Jim, are you looking into this issue?

Thanks. I missed the original message. The patch looks good to me, 
although it compiles with the following warning:

   In eshell-electric-forward-slash:
   ../../lisp/eshell/em-elecslash.el:98:18: Warning: Unused lexical 
variable `localname'

Looking through the code, I think we can just remove that variable.

Since this is a small change, and fixes a corner case in a new feature, 
I think it would make sense to go on the release branch, though I'll 
defer to you on this, Eli. The fact that the new code (with the removal 
of 'localname') is a bit simpler helps too.