Subject: Re: bug#60078: 30.0.50; Gnus: Can't remove groups of select methods that don't exist anymore

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 20:38:14 -0700

Jakub Ječmínek <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 02/23/24 09:22 AM, Jakub Ječmínek wrote:
>>> "Eric Abrahamsen" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> I tried Björn's recipe in the gnus-mock package, which is the closest
>>>> thing I've got to a uncustomized Gnus. Replacing the principle select
>>>> method (previously nnmaildir) with nnnil, restarting Gnus, and running
>>>> "b", correctly prompted me to remove the three groups that had
>>>> previously belonged to the nnmaildir server.
>>>
>>> Can you try that with `gnus-secondary-select-methods'?
>>
>> Oh weird, in that case I don't get an error, but it also doesn't offer
>> to remove the groups -- nothing happens at all. I'll look into this a
>> little more closely.
>
> Have you managed to make any progress, Eric?

Ahem...

So it looks like there's multiple things going on here. First of all,
the check for bogus groups explicitly excludes secondary select methods.
Why I do not know, but it's been that way since 2004.

Second, expunging isn't really related to this question. Expunging means
asking a server to delete all deletable articles, and if a group has no
server, then there's no way to do that.

That leaves plain old deleting, and so far as I can tell there's no
problem with deleting groups that have no server present.

So I want to make sure this isn't a misunderstanding about expunging,
and if it isn't, if there's something else I'm missing.

Thanks!
Eric