Subject: Re: [bug#60042] What to call pinned package versions

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 11:32:20 +0100

Hi,

On ven., 06 janv. 2023 at 23:55, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Here, the suffix /fixed is confusing because it is used for the both
>> cases:
>>
>>  1) You use fixed to describe something which stays the same and does not
>>     or cannot vary.
>>  2) If you fix a problem or a bad situation, you deal with it and make it
>>     satisfactory.
>
> I know, English…  :-)
>
> The first instance of this pattern was ‘guile/fixed’, probably 10 years
> ago, so I guess it takes precedence.
>
> But maybe we could agree on ‘/pinned’ instead and adjust code
> accordingly?

Sorry, I miss your suggestion. :-)

>From my understanding:

 + Option a.

version-control.scm:673:(define-public git-minimal/fixed -> git-minimal/pinned
linux.scm:7674:         (define-public libnftnl/fixed    -> libnftnl/pinned
samba.scm:295:          (define-public samba/fixed       -> samba/pinned
guile.scm:424:          (define-public guile-3.0/fixed   -> guile-3.0/pinned

 + Option b.

onc-rpc.scm:91:         (define libtirpc/fixed          -> libtirpc/grafted
gnupg.scm:257:          (define libksba/fixed           -> libksba/grafted
gnupg.scm:369:          (define gnupg/fixed             -> gnupg/grafted
linux.scm:2164:         (define-public util-linux/fixed -> util-linux/grafted
tls.scm:601:            (define openssl/fixed           -> openssl/grafted
xml.scm:159:            (define expat/fixed             -> expat/grafted
compression.scm:1890:   (define unzip/fixed             -> unzip/grafted

 + Option c. = option a. + option b. (remove reference to /fixed)

>From my point of view, option a. is the less “disruptive” because for
instance we use the term “Fixes“ in commit message when a bug is indeed
fixed.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon