Subject: [bug#60042] [PATCH] gnu: git: Update to 2.39.0.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 17:18:21 +0100

Hi,

Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I closed this ticket after noticing that Tobias had hotfixed the
> update to the staging branch.

Oh good.

> In addition to potentially increasing the dependent package
> thresholds, we should consider alternatives to the process for
> submitting, reviewing, and testing the patches for staging and
> core-updates. I think just having an announced window for submissions
> (perhaps 1 week for staging and 2 weeks for core-updates) would
> eliminate some unnecessary work. There would be little benefit to
> submitting simple package updates before the open window when an even
> newer release may still become available. Also, this could encourage
> more participation in the validation and testing process: similar to
> how releases are branched off master, we could encourage developers
> and users to test the pre-merge staging and (especially) core-updates.

Yes, I agree.  I once proposed adding a web page that would list open
branches with target merge dates:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49334

Perhaps it’s time to pick it up?  The difficulty here will be to honor
the time windows.

Thanks,
Ludo’.