Subject: Julia dependency on Git

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 00:51:28 +0100

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On one hand, I agree that these numbers could be revisited on the
> light of the new QA.  On the other hand, this "trivial" patch implies
> a Julia (almost) world rebuild -- so potentially some breakages.

Oh right.  I found that ‘julia-documenter’ depends on ‘git-minimal’; I
changed it to depend on ‘git-minimal/fixed’.  (The purpose of ‘/fixed’
variants, such as ‘guile-3.0/fixed’, is to avoid rebuilds of unrelated
sub-graphs.)  A few other packages were in a similar situation:

  bae13578f7 gnu: python-scikit-build: Depend on 'git-minimal/fixed'.
  8f31575ad1 gnu: gnome-photos: Depend on 'git-minimal/fixed'.
  0dcca97c9f gnu: opam: Depend on 'git-minimal/fixed'.
  9203de5250 gnu: ocamlformat: Depend on 'git-minimal/fixed'.
  83b1a2f682 gnu: julia-documenter: Depend on 'git-minimal/fixed'.

This is a simple way to reduce unnecessary rebuilds with potential
breakage, making it less risky and less costly to upgrade Git.

Thanks,
Ludo’.