Subject: [bug#60042] [PATCH] gnu: git: Update to 2.39.0.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:38:46 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 at 15:52, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> According to figures in the manual, it’s for ‘staging’ (info "(guix)
> Submitting Patches").  But I guess those figures are less appropriate
> now that the package collection and build farms have grown.  We’ll have
> to think about it!

On one hand, I agree that these numbers could be revisited on the
light of the new QA.  On the other hand, this "trivial" patch implies
a Julia (almost) world rebuild -- so potentially some breakages.  And
personally, I cannot run again and again after broken packages from
unrelated changes. :-)

Well, if the new QA is able to deal with heavy rebuilds, yeah for
sure, if all is green and the patch does not introduce any breakage,
there is no reason for not merging.  However, if you go to the
dashboard [1], it is far from being all green.  And do not give a look
for other architectures [2] than x86_64.  And these breakages often
arise from an unrelated minor change.

On a side note, personally I am not convinced that moving fast (=
burning a lot of energy) is something helpful in the world context.
For instance, the same source version of a package as FreeCAD is
almost rebuilt daily [3] (and each build costs ~50min); aside a minor
change elsewhere can easily break it, I am not convinced it brings
something to rebuild it again and again.  Well, I have mixed feelings
about this topic and indeed, we will have to think about it.

1: <http://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/54803/dashboard>
2: <http://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/54803/dashboard?system=i686-linux>
3: <https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/freecad/output-history>

Cheers,
simon