Subject: bug#60032: 30.0.50; [WISH] Customizing Info directories

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 14:55:43 +0200

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:27:19 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Changing environment variables is something I never ever needed to
> >> customize Emacs' behaviour. Once I see it, my thinking goes: "Surely,
> >> there should be some custom variable.", but no such variable exists.
> >
> > Does this include PATH?  If not, why not?
> >
> > IME, the *PATH variables are quite special: they should generally be
> > set from outside Emacs, and doing the same via customization options
> > is usually not a good idea.
> 
> I agree. However, I expect in-Emacs info reader to be more configurable.
> It's not like info.el requires external system tools. I prefer Emacs to
> be portable as much as sanely possible.

Feel free to submit a patch for the master branch.  We will then have
enough time to see if it causes trouble for someone.