Subject: bug#60032: 30.0.50; [WISH] Customizing Info directories

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:19:37 +0000

Hi,

I find the current customization of Info search path slightly awkward.

Emacs Info info page suggests to set INFOPATH environment variable.
Yet, it is not something I feel comfortable doing (it is outside the
nice warm Elisp VM).

There is also `Info-default-directory-list', but it only works for
special non-default value of INFOPATH.

Currently, the only way I found to force adding directories as Info
sources is the following:

(require 'info)
(info-initialize)
(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/Git/org-mode/doc/")

which is awkward.

Would it be possible to introduce something like
`Info-overriding-directory-list' to be added in front of Info path in
Emacs? This will complement `Info-additional-directory-list'.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.35, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-12-07 built on localhost
Repository revision: f0e118d3f676afe39df29663399d4bbe8f53f208
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Gentoo Linux

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>