Subject: bug#60031: closed (Re: bug#60031: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix GDB default history size)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 16:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60031: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix GDB default history size

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60031: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60031
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60031: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix GDB default history size
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 18:10:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:03:29 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> [...]
> 
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but why do we need this?  It looks to me
> > like the code below the getenv call already refrains from changing the
> > value of comint-input-ring-size if HISTSIZE is not set, or is zero,
> > etc.  What did I miss?
> 
> I thought I had a bug about this before but you are right.  This could
> be ignored and sorry for the noise.

No need to apologize, and thanks for working on this.

Subject: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix GDB default history size
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:01:17 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Here is a patch that fixes the default for GDB history size.

>From bb82e6bbbad9a35ca296b42079a8f805f8d5a09b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:53:30 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix GDB default history size

* lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el (gdb): HISTSIZE might not be set.
---
 lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el b/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
index eb0e5b0481..897fe5af2c 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
@@ -874,7 +874,7 @@ gdb
 					   "_gdb_history"
 					 ".gdb_history"))))
 	  ;; gdb defaults to 256, but we'll default to comint-input-ring-size.
-	  (hsize (getenv "HISTSIZE")))
+	  (hsize (or (getenv "HISTSIZE") comint-input-ring-size)))
       (dolist (file (append '("~/.gdbinit")
 			    (unless (string-equal (expand-file-name ".")
                                                   (expand-file-name "~"))
-- 
2.38.1

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.2, cairo version
 1.17.6) of 2022-12-12 built on computer
Repository revision: 70c3fafc080856517143852a455bc7e974870cc4
Repository branch: mgi/svg-trouble
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.2 GENERIC.MP#859 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Change Log

Minor modes in effect:
  gdb-many-windows: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-0.10.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cl-print shr-color view vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tutorial net-utils
whitespace magit-patch shortdoc help-fns radix-tree gdb-mi bindat gud
mailalias find-dired mhtml-mode css-mode eww xdg url-queue js nnmaildir
nnselect gnus-search pcmpl-unix sh-script smie treesit tabify man
w3m-cookie w3m-form w3m-symbol w3m-filter w3m-search w3m-bookmark
w3m-tabmenu w3m-session dabbrev misearch multi-isearch vc-git
bug-reference pulse magit-extras magit-bookmark magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git magit-section
magit-utils dash executable vc-dispatcher vc-svn sort gnus-cite
mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive
url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth qp utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft
nnmh network-stream nsm nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss mm-url w3m doc-view
filenotify jka-compr w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon
w3m-image tab-line w3m-proc w3m-util rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode
facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok image-mode exif gnus-dired face-remap
cus-start paredit edmacro time battery exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config
exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server stimmung-themes
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes ytdious osm mingus libmpdee reporter
edebug debug backtrace transmission diary-lib diary-loaddefs color
calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs w3m-load mu4e
mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft
mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark
mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config
bookmark ido supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm
ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode speedbar
ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit cus-load
wid-edit files-x tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime compile text-property-search etags fileloop
generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads
dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs so-long notifications dbus xml
repeat easy-mmode rust-mode-autoloads stimmung-themes-autoloads
ebdb-autoloads magit-autoloads debbugs-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
paredit-autoloads dash-autoloads ytdious-autoloads
transmission-autoloads transient-autoloads exwm-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads detached-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1209808 219802)
 (symbols 48 66807 41)
 (strings 32 333981 20070)
 (string-bytes 1 10945597)
 (vectors 16 200680)
 (vector-slots 8 3475159 165244)
 (floats 8 792 662)
 (intervals 56 47565 2796)
 (buffers 984 77))

-- 
Manuel Giraud