Subject: Re: bug#60021: 29.0.60; Eshell completion errors in the presence of buffer redirects

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:46:52 +0100

On 12/13/22 00:34, Gregory Heytings wrote:
> 
>>> Thanks for your bug report.  Can you check that the attached patch 
>>> fixes that bug, without introducing other obvious regressions?
>>
>> Yes, in my quick tests it fixes both issues. But I am not familiar with 
>> the code in question. Hard to tell if it introduces other regressions. 
>> Maybe Augusto (cc'ed) could also take a look please?
>>
> 
> He already did, and although it fixes the two reported recipes, it's alas 
> not a proper fix for that bug.

Why is this not a proper fix? Is there some deep issue here? Is there a
chance that this could be fixed in a better way? I have never looked
deeply into the inner workings of Pcomplete, but from my experience the
Pcomplete Capf unfortunately is one of the buggiest Capfs provided by
Emacs. Nevertheless, I am a happy Eshell user. Completion in combination
with my Corfu UI works quite well, but I also employ some advices which
ignore errors in Pcomplete and prevent the Capf from modifying the buffer.

Daniel