Subject: bug#6002: 23.1.96; bug#2319 still present

From: Marco Pessotto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:39:53 +0200

The bug #2319 which affects the display of the point, is still present
in the latest prerelease

See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2009-02/msg00507.html

To reproduce do:

emacs -Q
ESC-300 _ THERE
C-a 
C-k
C-y (20 times, to get the line *very* long)
M-<
M-% THERE  <enter> here <enter> <space> 

until the curson does not move to the correct point.  "THERE" had 
actually been replace with "here", but the user can't controll the process.

Same problem occours while yanking.

This happens in "the real life" too, with real file with long lines
(not kilobytes in a single line, just paragraphs packed in a single line). 

The same happens when yanking for the 14th time. 

IIRC, this problem was present still in emacs 22 (and probably earlier
releases).

Sorry to continue to bother you with this bug, but it's somehow nasty.

Bests

In GNU Emacs 23.1.96.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2010-04-22 on universe
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/tmp/emacspretest' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C - 
<backspace> <backspace> \ <backspace> <escape> 3 0 
0 _ T H E R E C-SPC C-S-p C-S-p C-S-a C-S-w C-S-y C-S-y 
C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y 
C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y C-S-y <return> 
<backspace> C-S-x C-S-s C-S-g M-> M-< M-% h e r e <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> t h e r e <return> 
h e r e <return> y y y y y y y y y y y y <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> M-x e m a c <tab> r e <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> r e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set [21 times]
Quit
Mark set [3 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util
netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock
sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug help-mode easymenu view
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)
p