Subject: bug#60019: closed (Re: bug#60019: 29.0.60; Regression: Strg-Umlaut keys are decoded incorrectly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 21:07:03 +0000

Your bug report

#60019: 29.0.60; Regression: Strg-Umlaut keys are decoded incorrectly

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60019: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60019
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60019: 29.0.60; Regression: Strg-Umlaut keys are decoded incorrectly
From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 22:06:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Emacs 29 German Umlauts with the control (strg key) modifier are
> decoded incorrectly on X11. When pressing C-ä I get the message "C-' is
> undefined", similarly when pressing C-ö I get "C-; is undefined". Also
> when binding commands to C-ä/C-ö, the commands are not executed due to
> the incorrect decoding. In contrast M-ä/M-ö works correctly, so the
> problem seems to be specific for the control key. Using C-ä/C-ö worked
> correctly on Emacs 27 and 28.

I have not observed this issue again, neither with nor without xinput2.
Therefore the issue can be closed.

Daniel

Subject: 29.0.60; Regression: Strg-Umlaut keys are decoded incorrectly
From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 21:59:12 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Emacs 29 German Umlauts with the control (strg key) modifier are
decoded incorrectly on X11. When pressing C-ä I get the message "C-' is
undefined", similarly when pressing C-ö I get "C-; is undefined". Also
when binding commands to C-ä/C-ö, the commands are not executed due to
the incorrect decoding. In contrast M-ä/M-ö works correctly, so the
problem seems to be specific for the control key. Using C-ä/C-ö worked
correctly on Emacs 27 and 28.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2022-12-11 built on projects
Repository revision: f221105723dc8d3ee9f3c8d1c2717058afbc6666
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/user/emacs/install --with-json
 --with-native-compilation --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-dbus
 --without-selinux --without-threads --without-gsettings --with-cairo'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 76924 11524)
 (symbols 48 7106 0)
 (strings 32 19914 1786)
 (string-bytes 1 594663)
 (vectors 16 15261)
 (vector-slots 8 317155 15456)
 (floats 8 33 48)
 (intervals 56 293 0)
 (buffers 976 11))