Subject: [bug#60013] [PATCH 1/3] gnu: Add libmodule

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 12:31:11 +0100

Hi Florian,

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 at 11:51, Florian <[email-masked]> wrote:

> These also would be those "prerequisite-patch-ids" hanging around, that
> are generated by the --base=auto flag I use with git send-email like a
> good manual follower. I don't want to operate on multiple guix repos or branches, I find
> the workflow to keep one updated time-consuming enough so far... So I
> guess, to be frank, what can I actually do about that?

I understand.  My point is just that it can be hard to be sure that the
patch set correctly applies; because some prerequisite-patch-ids could
modifies something without being included.  For instance, I think it is
what is happening with this current patch set.  On the top of,

    base-commit: 0ce1f82e5aaac951b21d579eb46bf75cfe6713c0

from the master branch, PATCH 1/3 correctly applies but I am failing to
apply PATCH 2/3.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
error: patch failed: gnu/packages/wm.scm:102
error: gnu/packages/wm.scm: patch does not apply
hint: Use 'git am --show-current-patch=diff' to see the failed patch
Applying: gnu: Add clightd
Patch failed at 0001 gnu: Add clightd
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Well, I understand your workflow, I guess.  My point is just to mention
that creating a branch with Git costs nothing.  For instance,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
git checkout -d example
git reset --soft 0ce1f82e5aaac951b21d579eb46bf75cfe6713c0
git cherry-pick 5ad571d5a145a7a33ec9241bf75f25cf4864e629
git format-patch -1 --cover-letter --base=0ce1f82e5aaac951b21d579eb46bf75cfe6713c0
git checkout master
git branch -D example
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

where 0ce1f82e5aaac951b21d579eb46bf75cfe6713c0 is ’origin/master’ when
you created this patch set.  And where
5ad571d5a145a7a33ec9241bf75f25cf4864e629 is the commit adding libmodule.

>From my point of view, it changes almost nothing for you and, IMHO, it
helps the review, both the human and the automated [1] ones.

Obviously, it is an opinionated minor comment. :-) And for sure, the
most important is that you send your contributions–meaning, the way that
is comfortable for you.

1: https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/60013

Cheers,
simon