Subject: 30.0.50; git commit from *vc-diff* does not work over tramp

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:31:48 -0500

I run Emacs locally (macosx laptop) and edit remote (Amazon Linux "cloud
desktop") files using tramp (scp).
I can commit files using vc/git just fine.
However, when I edit *vc-diff* and hit C-v v v (vc-next-action), and
then edit the commit message abd hit C-c C-c, I get this error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Failed (status 128): git --no-pager apply --cached...")
  signal(error ("Failed (status 128): git --no-pager apply --cached..."))
  error("Failed (%s): %s" "status 128" "git --no-pager apply --cached /var/folders/20/__3t...")
  vc-do-command("*vc*" 0 "git" "/var/folders/20/__3tt7vx6wg51x8xvqdc1cmw0000gr/T/g..." "--no-pager" "apply" "--cached")
  apply(vc-do-command "*vc*" 0 "git" "/var/folders/20/__3tt7vx6wg51x8xvqdc1cmw0000gr/T/g..." ("--no-pager" "apply" "--cached"))
  vc-git-command(nil 0 "/var/folders/20/__3tt7vx6wg51x8xvqdc1cmw0000gr/T/g..." "apply" "--cached")
  vc-git-checkin(nil #("Summary: TEE: split pairs_mx into make_da2mt_mx an..." ...
  vc-git-checkin-patch(#("diff --git a/TEE/lucindex.py b/TEE/lucindex.py\nind..." ...
  apply(vc-git-checkin-patch (#("diff --git a/TEE/lucindex.py b/TEE/lucindex.py\nind..." ...
  vc-call-backend(Git checkin-patch #("diff --git a/TEE/lucindex.py b/TEE/lucindex.py\nind..." ...
  #f(compiled-function (files comment) #<bytecode 0x1dfec5afeaefa0a0>) ...
  vc-finish-logentry()
  funcall-interactively(vc-finish-logentry)
  call-interactively(vc-finish-logentry)
  log-edit-done()
  funcall-interactively(log-edit-done)
  call-interactively(log-edit-done nil nil)
  command-execute(log-edit-done)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and *vc* says

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
error: can't open patch '/var/folders/20/__3tt7vx6wg51x8xvqdc1cmw0000gr/T/git-patchAWaImM': No such file or directory
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

this is a _local_ directory - it exists on the laptop but not on the
"cloud desktop".

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.1 (Build 21G217)) of 2022-12-12 built on
 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: 5325d815af43a36ea8571851e272c3d39bc19252
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH='

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: C
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug
cl-print debug backtrace log-edit vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
log-view pcvs-util smerge-mode diff misearch multi-isearch skeleton
dabbrev url-http url-auth url-gw nsm ein-jupyter ein-dev ein-notebook
ein-python-send ein-traceback ein-pytools ein-pager ein-completer
ein-notification ein-scratchsheet ein-worksheet poly-ein quail polymode
poly-lock polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base
color ein-kill-ring ein-cell ein-shared-output ein-output-area
ein-kernelinfo ein-kernel ein-ipdb ein-events ein-websocket websocket
bindat ein-file ein-node ein-notebooklist shortdoc ein-contents-api
ein-query ein-log ein-classes ein-core request autorevert anaphora
ein-utils deferred dash cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ein display-line-numbers
add-log vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat shell ls-lisp
remember score-mode conf-mode bug-reference flyspell ispell
display-fill-column-indicator org-element org-persist org-id org-refile
avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail mailcap
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view filenotify
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-x view cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays
holiday-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar
cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec vc-dir ewoc vc sh-script
smie executable vc-git vc-dispatcher company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-template company-cmake company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets cl-extra yasnippet flymake-proc flymake thingatpt
company-capf company help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy elpy-rpc pyvenv
eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util cus-start elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s
elpy-refactor diff-mode easy-mmode ido hideshow grep compile files-x
etags fileloop generator xref python rx project compat compat-macs
treesit comint ansi-osc ansi-color dired-aux midnight dired
dired-loaddefs cus-edit pp warnings icons gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone
modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes pcase edit-server advice server winner
ring which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars help-at-pt desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib
cus-load info fb2-reader-autoloads async-autoloads f-autoloads
ein-autoloads bbdb-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
dash-autoloads request-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads
compat-autoloads websearch-autoloads elpy-autoloads s-autoloads
company-autoloads polymode-autoloads edit-server-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 691472 82991)
 (symbols 48 40963 6)
 (strings 32 262476 9487)
 (string-bytes 1 7246730)
 (vectors 16 110814)
 (vector-slots 8 2207864 131822)
 (floats 8 1153 347)
 (intervals 56 17739 877)
 (buffers 976 105))

-- 
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com
https://iris.org.il https://fairforall.org http://think-israel.org
A bullet affects the way the brain functions even when it hits the butt.