Subject: Re: bug#6000: describe-text-sexp does not know window-width

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 14:44:38 +0200

>> and M-x foo in some window.  Dependent on the width of that window,
 >> `describe-text-sexp' will decide whether to insert the expression in
 >> *foo* or display a "Show" button instead.  When you eventually display
 >> *foo* you will see the result.  I think a simple check like
 >>
 >>      (if (and (not (string-match-p "\n" pp))
 >>               (eq (window-buffer) (current-buffer))
 >>               (<= (length pp) (- (window-width) (current-column))))
 >> 	(insert pp)
 >>
 >> should work.
 >
 > Hm...  this will always insert the [Show] button if the *foo* buffer
 > isn't the current buffer?  Is that what we want here?

`describe-text-sexp' always works on the current buffer

(defun describe-text-sexp (sexp)
   "Insert a short description of SEXP in the current buffer."

so the added line will avoid the [Show] button iff the selected window
doesn't show the current buffer which should be rare enough.

martin