Subject: bug#59970: BUG: install with package.el on emacs-29.0.60 requires manual editing of hyperbole-autoloads.el to make autoloading work

From: Mats Lidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:44:26 +0100

Hi Gerard,

> Mats Lidell writes:
> Hi Gerard,
>
> > [email-masked] writes:
> > After checking, I also think that the tar files downloaded from
> > https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ do not contain XXX-autoloads.el
>
> Yes, that is the case. The hyperbole-autoloads.el is missing from the
> archive file. However the development tar-archive available at
> https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/hyperbole.html does have the autoloads. I'm
> not sure but could be an artifact of how those tar-files are built at
> ELPA and that might have changed since 8.0.0 was released!?

I have had another look at the problem and must correct myself. You can say
that the tar-file, that is available to download from elpa and elpa-devel, is
only supposed to be used by the package manager. The hyperbole-autoload can
therefor not be present in the tar file. It is instead generated by the
package manager when the package is installed.

That hyoperbole-autoloads was available in the elpa-devel was an error and
that has been corrected now.

To use the tar ball directly follow the instructions in the info manual:
    "(Hyperbole)Manual Tarball Archive Installation"
Basically you should run "make bin" after unpacking the tar file in order to
generate the autoloads.

You can also choose to imitate the package manager and run the function
package-install-from-buffer. See {C-hf package-install-from-buffer RET}

%% Mats