Subject: bug#59935: 29.0.60; project-list-buffers is slow

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 22:42:08 +0200

> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:41:40 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 11/12/2022 21:00, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Otherwise, this change could be split into two steps:
> >>
> >> - Rollback that signature to pre-commit 125b5684c (i.e. revert its part
> >> in buff-menu.el). This is something we usually considered to be safe.
> >>
> >> - Add new change that allows BUFFER-LIST to be a function.
> > We can do it safer, so I'd prefer that.
> 
> I don't like that idea because we'll leave an unproven new feature in 
> the codebase, without any known callers or requestors.

Neither do I.  But this is a price to pay for coming this late with
changes in interfaces that are needed to make commands faster, and we
cannot wait.  If this came up half a year ago, we wouldn't be having
this conversation.

The schedule for releasing Emacs 29.1 is very ambitious, from where I
stand, and I don't want any risks we can avoid.