Subject: Re: bug#59935: 29.0.60; project-list-buffers is slow

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:31:44 +0200

On 13/12/2022 21:30, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> [2022-12-13 18:30]:
>> On 13/12/2022 05:10, Jean Louis wrote:
>>> * Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  [2022-12-12 22:59]:
>>>> On 12/12/2022 12:36, Jean Louis wrote:
>>>>> If I may add to this, that project-list-buffers also incidentally
>>>>> invokes re-connection of any Tramp buffers.
>>>> Which part of it does? The project-buffers call, or some other step?
>>> I don't know which part. All I can see is message below:
>>
>> You can find out by stepping through project-list-buffers with edebug.
> 
> It iterates over results of list-buffers-noselect and among many
> buffers finds those Tramp buffers. But why those Tramp buffers start
> re-connecting I do not know.

So 'M-x list-buffers' or 'C-x C-b' have the same effect? This is not 
specific to project-list-buffers?

> For me this description below is not what that function does, as that
> function seem not to select properly. What are project buffers? Are
> they not files which are in directories specified as project? It seems
> that function is iterating over buffers not necessary to iterate.

The answer to what buffers are project buffers is encoded in each 
project backend's implementation of 'project-buffers'.

The default considers non-file buffers as well.