Subject: bug#59909: 29.0.60; csharp-ts-mode does not fontify escape sequences nor highlight syntax errors

From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 20:40:39 +0100

Consider the following C# code:

public class Test
{
     public const string Foo = "test \t escape";
     fdsfd
}

When activating csharp-ts-mode, the escape sequence on line 3 is not 
fontified, and the syntax error on line 4 is not highlighted.

json-ts-mode does this, which is cool and I think csharp-ts-mode should 
have it too.

Attached is a patch which makes csharp-ts-mode support these 
fontification rules.

--
Jostein

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-08 built on ThinkPad-T14s
Repository revision: de5f5021bea73b759e76816f5a6dfb41d6050ffa
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.10

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C#

Minor modes in effect:
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   lsp-diagnostics-mode: t
   lsp-headerline-breadcrumb-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-workspace-status-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-diagnostics-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-code-actions-mode: t
   electric-pair-mode: t
   lsp-completion-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   flycheck-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   nlinum-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   global-ede-mode: t
   dap-tooltip-mode: t
   dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
   dap-ui-controls-mode: t
   dap-ui-mode: t
   treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
   treemacs-follow-mode: t
   treemacs-git-mode: t
   treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
   lsp-lens-mode: t
   dap-auto-configure-mode: t
   dap-mode: t
   global-undo-tree-mode: t
   undo-tree-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   projectile-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   lsp-managed-mode: t
   lsp-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20221127.2242/transient hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-20221020.1010/eglot hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/progmodes/eglot

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode git-commit
log-edit message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode
transient magit-git magit-base magit-section crm compat-27 compat-26
derived help-fns radix-tree cl-print misearch multi-isearch face-remap
semantic/lex-spp ede/emacs semantic/db semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local bug-reference
executable flyspell ispell mule-util disp-table lsp-diagnostics
lsp-headerline lsp-icons lsp-modeline helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval
edebug debug backtrace helm-info view vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
elec-pair csharp-mode treesit cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs winner
ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache warnings time-stamp zeroconf
dbus add-log lsp-zig lsp-steep lsp-svelte lsp-sqls lsp-ruby-syntax-tree
lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-volar lsp-vetur lsp-html
lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-typeprof lsp-ttcn3 lsp-toml lsp-terraform
lsp-tex lsp-sorbet lsp-solargraph lsp-rust lsp-rf lsp-remark lsp-racket
lsp-r lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp lsp-pyls lsp-php lsp-pls
lsp-perlnavigator lsp-perl lsp-openscad lsp-ocaml lsp-magik lsp-nix
lsp-nim lsp-nginx lsp-mint lsp-marksman lsp-markdown lsp-lua lsp-kotlin
lsp-json lsp-javascript lsp-idris lsp-haxe lsp-groovy lsp-hack
lsp-graphql lsp-gleam lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-gdscript lsp-fsharp
lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-emmet lsp-elixir lsp-elm
lsp-dockerfile lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp gnutls lsp-crystal
lsp-cmake lsp-clojure lsp-semantic-tokens lsp-clangd lsp-beancount
lsp-bash lsp-astro lsp-ansible lsp-angular lsp-ada lsp-actionscript
ido-completing-read+ memoize minibuf-eldef elisp-slime-nav paredit
editorconfig editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch flycheck highlight-symbol which-func nlinum linum
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company-web-html company-web company-css
web-completion-data company hideshow eww url-queue shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/detect ede/base
ede/auto ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar ezimage dframe
eieio-custom cedet dap-mouse dap-ui lsp-treemacs lsp-treemacs-generic
lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface
treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros gdb-mi bindat
gud bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button
bui-utils lsp-lens dap-gdb-lldb dap-netcore dap-node dap-utils dom xml
dap-pwsh lsp-pwsh dap-python dap-mode dap-tasks dap-launch lsp-docker
yaml posframe dap-overlays undo-tree diff queue doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons shrink-path
compat compat-macs projectile lisp-mnt grep ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs helm-imenu ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
ido-yes-or-no ido helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode
dired dired-loaddefs exif tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-load files-x tramp-compat parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core easy-mmode
async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async helm-config
delsel cl-extra autorevert server powershell advice shell pcomplete
hl-line lsp-mode lsp-protocol yasnippet help-mode xref project
tree-widget wid-edit spinner pcase network-stream puny nsm markdown-mode
color thingatpt noutline outline icons lv inline imenu ht filenotify f
f-shortdoc shortdoc s ewoc epg rfc6068 epg-config dash dracula-theme
compile-eslint rx compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring cl finder-inf git-timemachine-autoloads
helm-projectile-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads eglot-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads tree-sitter-langs-autoloads
projectile-autoloads nlinum-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads helm-autoloads
helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads assess-autoloads m-buffer-autoloads
cargo-autoloads package-lint-autoloads flycheck-autoloads
company-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads helpful-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
powershell-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads
yaml-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads ht-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads compat-autoloads
pcache-autoloads f-autoloads popup-autoloads s-autoloads info
dash-autoloads macrostep-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 653528 50986)
  (symbols 48 56100 0)
  (strings 32 207770 6006)
  (string-bytes 1 6562765)
  (vectors 16 119588)
  (vector-slots 8 2228903 93130)
  (floats 8 1003 1039)
  (intervals 56 6843 3017)
  (buffers 992 34))

-- 
Vennlig hilsen
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>

From 37f3038d791c1e52b92fbbaf8221092ae8a2f284 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Jostein=20Kj=C3=B8nigsen?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 20:36:49 +0100
Subject: [PATCH 2/2] lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode.el: Improve fontification in
 csharp-ts-mode

- fontity escape sequences
- highlight syntax errors
---
 lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode.el | 10 ++++++++--
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode.el b/lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode.el
index 82e3bc0d541..8c76284e108 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode.el
@@ -818,7 +818,13 @@ csharp-ts-mode--font-lock-settings
 
    :language 'c-sharp
    :feature 'delimiter
-   '((["," ":" ";"]) @font-lock-delimiter-face)))
+   '((["," ":" ";"]) @font-lock-delimiter-face)
+
+   :language 'c-sharp
+   :feature 'escape-sequence
+   :override t
+   '((escape_sequence) @font-lock-escape-face
+     (ERROR) @font-lock-warning-face)))
 
 ;;;###autoload
 (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.cs\\'" . csharp-mode))
@@ -926,7 +932,7 @@ csharp-ts-mode
   (setq-local treesit-font-lock-settings csharp-ts-mode--font-lock-settings)
   (setq-local treesit-font-lock-feature-list
               '(( comment definition)
-                ( keyword string type)
+                ( keyword string escape-sequence type)
                 ( attribute constant expression literal)
                 ( bracket delimiter)))
 
-- 
2.37.2